Thursday, August 7, 2008

Is actually the new uh?

This is funny. I ask my wife if she thinks the term actually is overused or am I actually being my old cynical, self righteous, critical self. I looked up actually in a thesaurus. There are a ton of great words you can use in its place, really; words and phrases like really, essentially, in fact, truly, square business and no shittin. Any of these will work fine in place of actually. I hear it everywhere. I feel like I’m a dog tormented by a high pitched whistle. The term is used at least 3 or 4 times in every news interview, national news withstanding. Relatively intelligent people abuse the term when explaining a topic of which they are a marginal authority. I hear it from anyone giving sales presentations, speeches or toasts. It’s actually very annoying.
Where does this word come from? It’s actually been around since the 16th century. Galileo was heard chastising the Pope with “…it’s actually flat and no, it’s actually not the center of the universe.” I actually looked it up. It is defined as an actual or existing fact; really. (Okay, I’ll stop. Your dawdling mind has actually caught up to the point I’m making).
I don’t understand the need to validate every line of conversation with a disclaimer of truth. Actually is similar to saying “This is indeed a fact that I am prepared to state.” Have we become so immersed in bullshit that a qualification is necessary before every muttered claim? Is it similar to the use of honestly. I hate to stand on the receiving end of that one. As if you had a reason to lie to me otherwise. Do people reply often in conversation with; “are you in jest or in fact serious about that which you speak?” Even worse, actually has worked its way into written word. This is how Well, has become the fastest growing introduction to much correspondence. People write as they speak.
Uh, use to be the filler for a void in conversation and uuuuuuh. I’m sorry. I actually forgot where I was going with that. Actually is used in a similar manner of brain to mouth traffic diversion. It’s a speed bump in an explanation. It’s a delay to let the rest of your thought make it down the snout. Moreover, Actually is an overused indicator of emphasis. I feel sorry for creative writing professors everywhere (and not just in relation to this piece of literary tripe.) We throw actually in to say,
“get ready because this tidbit of information is going to blow your mind”
or “here’s a bit of unsolicited trivia I’m going to drop on you like mad science!”
or “contrary to conventional wisdom or any preconceived notion that your misguided perspective may attempt to bring to this conversation…”
It’s as if the small crumb of wisdom they possess will alter our physical existence and rock our grasp on reality and thus a disclaimer like actually is needed to prepare you. “Screw gravity! Your punctual use of the word “actually” just yanked the blanket out from my humble understanding of the world around me. It’s like Dianetics, man!”
The worst examples are the animal enthusiasts you see on local morning talk shows. The wealth of zoological information they carry in their heads astound the greatest intellectuals of our time. Not to mention the impression they make on morning talk show hosts.
“Actually, Coco here is a marsupial.”
“Actually, bats can see.”
“He’s actually sniffing my dog that I have at home.”

If only I could break a cricket bat over the back over their heads every time they say actually. Cooking shows are no less deplorable.
These buzz phrases come and go. Do you remember basically? That one served as the opener for countless public speeches and lectures in the 80’s. Pop culture sprinkled in Up you nose with a rubber hose; Where’s the beef?; Allrighty then; and Yeah baby! The 90’s ushered in the era of out-of-the-box and touching base with people. Some of these catch phrases were spawned in the workplace. Some were cultivated in social settings. Just like Maude; and then came like. This one may seem a bit juvenile but it’s a verbal mainstay for many 20-somethings. Take heed. It will work its way into your conversational rotation, much like gracias and de nada.

No comments: